The name of the group is “East Shoreditch Neighbourhood Planning Forum” referred to elsewhere in this Constitution as “ESNPF”.
2. Neighbourhood area
The area of the ESNPF is shown on the attached map, referred to elsewhere in this constitution as the neighbourhood area.
The objectives of the Forum shall be to:
- Promote and improve the social, economic and environmental well being of the Neighbourhood area.
- To prepare in partnership with the relevant local planning authority (ies) a sustainable Neighbourhood Development Plan for the Neighbourhood area.
- To encourage the goodwill and involvement of the wider community in the preparation, production and implementation of the Neighbourhood Development Plan;
- To foster community spirit and encourage civic pride.
In furtherance of the objects, but not otherwise, the Management Committee of the ESNPF may exercise the power to:
- Invite and receive contributions and raise funds where appropriate, to finance the work of the ESNPF, and to open a bank account to manage such funds
- Set up working groups with terms of reference to undertake tasks in furtherance of its objectives. All such working groups must include at least one management committee member.
- Publicise and promote the work of the ESNPF and organise meetings, training courses, events or seminars relevant to its work.
- Work with groups of a similar nature and exchange information, advice and knowledge with them, including cooperation with other voluntary bodies, charities, statutory and non-statutory organisations
- Employ staff (who shall not be members of the Management Committee) as are necessary to conduct activities that meet the objectives of the ESNPF.
- Take any form of action that is lawful, which is necessary to achieve the objectives of the ESNPF, including taking out any contracts which it may see fit.
The Forum shall not be affiliated to any political party or organisation.
Members will apply for membership and the Management Committee shall have the power to accept members. Members of the Forum must be over 18 (eighteen) years of age,
The Management Committee may refuse membership, or may terminate or suspend the membership of any member by resolution passed at a Management Committee meeting where it is considered membership would be detrimental to the objectives and activities of the ESNPF.
- Membership is open to all who live in the neighbourhood area (see 2. Above).
- Membership is open to all business operators in the neighbourhood area of the ESNPF – Business operators may nominate up to two people in their membership application but they may only exercise one voting right at General and Annual General Meetings of the ESNPF.
- Membership is open to all constituted voluntary and community groups which operate in the neighbourhood area. Voluntary and Community groups may nominate up to two people in their membership application but they may only exercise one voting right at General and Annual General Meetings of the ESNPF.
- Membership is open to elected London Borough Council members who represent wards in the neighbourhood area.
Membership shall be drawn from different places in the neighbourhood area and different sections of the community.
Any member of the ESNPF may resign from membership by providing the Secretary with written notice
The ESNPF shall have a minimum of 21 (twenty one) members. The Secretary shall maintain a register of members at all times and make it available to any member of the ESNPF or the public who requests it.
7. Forum meetings
All decisions at Forum meetings shall be made on a show of hands of members who are entitled to vote at the meeting.
a) General meetings
General Meetings of ESNPF members shall take place at least 3 (three) times per year.
Notice and an agenda for a General Meeting of the ESNPF to ESNPF members shall be 10 (ten) working days.
The quorum required for a General Meeting to conduct business shall be 9 (nine) ESNPF members
b) Annual General Meetings/Special Meetings
An Annual General Meeting of ESNPF members shall take place once in every calendar year.
Notice and an agenda for an Annual General Meeting to ESNPF members shall be 15 (fifteen) working days.
The quorum required for an Annual General Meeting to conduct business shall be 15 (fifteen) ESNPF Members
The Annual General meeting shall:
Elect the Management Committee of the ESNPF
Receive a report from the Management Committee of the ESNPF of the activities that have taken place in the year
Receive a final statement from the Treasurer
Elections to the Management Committee shall take place as follows:
a) ESNPF members shall notify the Secretary of the ESNPF of their intention to stand for a place on the Management Committee in writing and at least 5 (five) working days before the Annual General Meeting takes place.
b) At the Annual General Meeting elections shall be held on the basis of a show of hands for each candidate.
Special Meetings may be called from time to time by the Management Committee to consider amendments to the constitution or dissolution of the Forum. These shall be subject to the same notice and quorum as Annual General Meetings.
c) Management Committee Meetings
Management Committee meetings will be held a minimum of 6 times per year.
Notice to members of the Management Committee of a Management Committee meeting shall be 7 working days
The quorum required for a Management Committee meeting to conduct business shall be 5 (five) members.
8. Management Committee
The Management Committee of the ESNPF shall be elected at an Annual General Meeting of the ESNPF and shall consist of a minimum of 9 (nine) members up to a maximum of 13 (thirteen).
9. Officers of the Management Committee
The role of any officer of the Management Committee may be shared by two members of the Management Committee.
The Chair of the Management Committee shall be responsible for:
- Calling and chairing meetings of the Management Committee of the ESNPF, General Meetings and Annual General meetings of the membership of the ESNPF, unless specifically delegated to another Management Committee member in writing.
- Exercising a casting vote on elections and resolutions at meetings of the Forum and its Management Committee.
- Have the power to take decisions on urgent matters between meetings of the Management Committee
The Treasurer shall be responsible for:
- Maintaining the financial records of the ESNPF
- Be responsible for presenting a budget, annually for the following year to a the ESNPF Annual General Meeting
- Submit a detailed summary of the accounts at every Management Committee meeting
- Act as a joint signatory on the ESNPF account with one other member of the management committee.
- Take the minutes if the Secretary is absent or in the chair.
The Secretary shall:
- Be responsible for organizing meetings, taking and circulating the minutes and of the ESNPF and making them available to members
- Maintain a register of members of the ESNPF and the ESNPF Constitution for inspection by members of the public and ESNPF Members
10. The finances of the ESNPF
Any money acquired by the ESNPF, including donations, contributions and bequests, shall be paid into an account operated by the Management Committee in the name of the ESNPF.
All funds must be applied to the objectives of the ESNPF and for no other purpose.
Bank accounts shall be opened in the name of the Forum. Any deeds, cheques etc relating to the Forum’s bank account shall be signed by at least 2 (two) Management Committee members, 1 (one) of whom must be the Treasurer Any income/expenditure shall be the responsibility of the Treasurer who will be accountable to ensure funds are utilised effectively and that the Forum stays within its budget.
Official accounts shall be maintained, and will be examined annually by an independent accountant who is not a member of the Forum.
An annual financial report shall be presented by the Treasurer at the Annual General Meeting of the ESNPF.
11. Neighbourhood Planning
Any decision to submit to the local planning authority for approval any Neighbourhood Development Plan shall be subject to a vote at a General Meeting of the ESNPF.
All consultation on the Neighbourhood Development Plan will take place with residents and businesses in the neighbourhood area whether members of the ESNPF or not.
The management committee shall be delegated to work with the local planning authority and any independent experts and advisors on the Neighbourhood Development Plan as they see fit.
At the discretion of the ESNPF Management Committee working groups can be delegated the tasks of preparing the Neighbourhood Development Plan and may co-opt non voting members onto such working groups as it sees fit. All such working groups must include at least one management committee member.
12. Alternation of the Constitution
Any changes to this constitution must be agreed by a majority vote at a special general meeting, called specifically for the purpose under the same conditions that apply to Annual General Meetings specified above.
Proposed amendments to this Constitution or dissolution of the ESNPF must be conveyed to the Secretary formally in writing. The Secretary and other officers of the ESNPF shall then decide whether to put the proposed amendments to a special general meeting of the ESNPF for discussion and decision.
The ESNPF may be dissolved if deemed necessary by the members in a majority vote at a special meeting. Any assets or remaining funds after debts have been paid shall be returned to their providers or transferred to local charities or similar groups at the discretion of the Management Committee.
This constitution was adopted at an Inaugural Annual General Meeting of the ESNPF held at the St Hilda’s East Centre at 6.30pm on 23rd September 2013.